Our local parks, trails and open spaces are great places for high school students to volunteer! You’ll get to spend time outdoors, have fun with your friends and help beautify our public spaces. We have a variety of opportunities, and can accommodate groups and individuals. We welcome those interested in one-time volunteer activities or on-going Adopt-A-Park programs. Every month, we will host two large-scale group projects on Saturdays (more information). Join us once, twice, or all year long!
- Remove litter to improve park aesthetics, cleanliness, and wildlife habitat value
- Clean park signs, playground equipment, and picnic tables and rake playground chips
- Remove invasive species such as ivy, Himalayan blackberry, and scotch broom
- Maintain trails by raking surfaces and removing debris and vegetation
- Rake and remove leaves and other debris from parks
- Take photos at volunteer events for use on web pages, newsletters, brochures, and other publications
- Other opportunities as they develop (e.g., planting, event assistance)
- All volunteers under the age of 18 must have a signed consent form to participate in any activity.
- All volunteers are required to wear closed toe shoes and long pants to volunteer events. Remember to dress for the weather!
- The volunteer coordinators will keep track of your hours and sign off on any forms confirming completion of service hours.
The Vancouver-Clark Parks and Recreation District believes that YOU can make a difference in how local parks look and operate! By participating in the Adopt-A-Park program, you will beautify public space, while enhancing park safety and building community. All of the volunteer opportunities listed above are available through the Adopt-A-Park program.
The Adopt-A-Park program is an ongoing volunteer opportunity, and we ask for a minimum six-month commitment. By volunteering only twice per month, for two to three hours at a time, you can make a huge difference in your parks! You get to choose the days and times that you volunteer, so this is a great opportunity for those who have busy schedules. We encourage clubs and classes with an adult advisor to adopt a park, but individuals are accepted as well. If you plan on volunteering as an individual, extra screening may be required.